My website www.danielarndt.om started many years ago as a bunch of static HTML files. When I started to put up photos I used text files as a rudimentary database solution. The website then went through a revamp every couple of years. I switched to a real SQL database, used Perl, later PHP, before eventually settling on Ruby and Ruby on Rails with which I’m still happy.
However, weird legacy code and a database design from the Perl days were in the way of implementing new things and moving forward. Hence a complete revamp was needed.
During the past couple of weeks I switched to Ruby on Rails 3 and completely rewrote the website and the database backend. There is a new (and hopefully nicer) design, new photos will be hosted by the awesome Smugmug.com. Commenting on some pages and a blog has been added. And lots of invisible improvements on the administrative backend.
I hope you like it.